Francisco Mora was born in Sagunto (Valencia) on September 7, 1875. He completed his primary education in his native city and then traveled to Barcelona to study at the School of Architecture led by Domènech i Montaner. He enrolled at this school in 1890 and earned his degree in 1898. He studied alongside Manuel Peris, was frequently linked to Buenaventura Conill, and visited Antonio Gaudí’s workshop on a regular basis.
He became a resident of Valencia in 1901 when he was appointed the municipal architect of Ensanche. Two years later, he designed a house for Manuel Gómez located at 31 Calle De La Paz, which was the first of the renowned Casas Sagnier. These early projects were heavily influenced by Domenech’s modernism, and this one in particular was closely linked to Gaudí’s Casa Calvet. In 1905, Manuel Gómez switched a project that had initially been designed by Antonio Martorell for one created by Mora. The building was located at the intersection of Calle De La Paz and Calle Comedias, and it was the second Casa Sagnier. A third example of this type of design was the first project for the home of F. Ordeig, located at 13 Plaza del Mercado. It was built in 1907 and would later be replaced by a different creation with floral Gothic Revival touches.
1908 marked the beginning of a Neo-Gothic Revival phase, with elements inspired by local Gothic monuments. This era included the definitive design for F. Ordeig’s home mentioned earlier as well as the construction of the Municipal Palace of Valencia’s Regional Expo in 1909, which combined aspects of the most famous Gothic monuments in the Community of Valencia.
In addition to these creations, Mora also handled the 1909 restoration of the Apostles door at the Valencia cathedral.
In 1910, the idea of building a Central Market in Valencia was proposed, resulting in the corresponding tenders. Mora was freed from his duties as the municipal architect in order to submit a project with Neo-Mudéjar lines that was turned down. However, two years later his 1,300 hectare Valencia Expansion Plan was approved in 1912. He designed his masterpiece—the Mercado Colón—in 1913, and work was completed in 1916. The previous year (1915) he had been appointed a full member of the Saint Charles Royal Academy of Fine Arts of Valencia.
Years later he was involved in French-style projects, including two identical homes for Carmen Ortiz de Taranco on Calle Maestro Gozalbo (1924), and he introduced Casticismo with works like the Banco Hispano Americano on Calle De Las Barcas, which was built in 1925 and demolished in 1970.
He designed one of his last projects, the Industrial School (where he had been a professor of Stereotomy), in 1925, although it was built at a later point after undergoing a number of changes.
Between 1920 and his death, he participated in many professional conferences, had an active social life, and held a number of positions, including Dean of the Valencia School of Architecture and President of the Higher Council of Spain’s Professional Architecture Association.
Francisco Mora Berenguer died at the age of 85 in a car accident alongside his son Carlos Mora Ortiz de Taranco on January 24, 1961.